Sunday, November 11, 2012

Prayer.

Every morning I wake up around 6:45. I change out of my pajamas, put on my sneakers and leash up my dog. I walk for at least 15 minutes, sometimes almost a half hour if I have the time. I walk the quiet streets around my neighborhood and I pray. When I get back from my walk, I grab some breakfast and try to journal for a bit (this one doesn't come as easily everyday, but I'm working on it!)

I get home from work around 4:50, and since the sun is gone earlier and earlier everyday, the first thing I do when I walk in the door is leash up Daisy and head out. I'll walk her as long as I can, it depends on how much light we have, and how loudly my stomach is growling for dinner. It's a nice way to unwind after a hectic day at work.

Living at the Mount, I prayed with the community twice a day, everyday. Prayer was first thing in the morning, and first thing in the evening (or right after dinner, depending on the day of the week.) I've mentioned before that my prayer life has been falling a little flat since moving out of the monastery. But it seems to be taking on a new life.

One thing I learned in my time at the Mount is that prayer can take on any form. It is not confined to a specific place, it is not something than can be practiced only at a certain time, it is not something that God will hear only if you follow this rule or that rule. Prayer happens anytime you open your heart to God.

One major bonus of having prayer time while I walk the dog is that there is no way to skip it. Trust me, Daisy will not let me hit the snooze button. She's in my face, ready to explore a new day as soon as her eyes open. I can't help but be excited for a new day too.


"We must know that God regards our purity of heart...not our many words. Prayer should therefore be short and pure, unless perhaps it is prolonged under the inspiration of divine grace."- The Rule of Benedict, Chapter 20: Reverence in Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment